Re: how do you recompile the kernel?

On Sat, 31 Oct 1998, roadrun37 wrote:

> I use a boot disk to get into Debian linux.
>
> I've looked at all the relevant kernel info and some give conflicting
> instructions.  My immediate concern is getting my Sound Blaster AWE64
> Value recognized my the system.  Anyway, I looked at the
> SoundBlaster-Awe mini howto and the Sound-Howto and the Kernel-Howto.
>
> 1)  i used make menuconfig.
> 2)  i picked the relevant options.
> 3)  i saved the configuration.
>
> The SoundBlaster-Awe mini told me to do : make-pkg ... (something like
> that)
> i couldn't.
>
> 4)  so instead i did make dep
> 5) then make clean
> 6) make zImage
> 7) make zdisk
> 8) make modules
> 9)  make modules_install
>
> 10) cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/zImage /dev/fd0

'make zdisk' makes the zImage file and writes it to the floppy, so steps
6) and 10) aren't needed.

> that should be the end?  did i forget something?
> when i boot up, it sees the SoundBlaster, but it then gives me a slew
> of messages about the modules, how it can't see the vfat or the gpm
> mouse devices.
>
> Does anyone else have this problem?  Can someone give me an answer?
> (preferably someone with a Debian system?)

Does 'uname -a' show the correct date and time you compiled your kernel?

It looks like you possibly forgot to cp the zImage file to / or /boot
(wherever your /etc/lilo.conf says it should be) and to run lilo.

If you install the Debian kernel-package file, running make-kpkg will
nicely handle things for you and create a kernel-source .deb, which you
can then install.  You will be asked during the installation if you want
to make a floppy and if you want to update LILO.

If you are actually running the new kernel, I would suspect an error was
introduced during the menuconfig process.

Bob

----