how do you recompile the kernel?

I use a boot disk to get into Debian linux.

I've looked at all the relevant kernel info and some give conflicting
instructions.  My immediate concern is getting my Sound Blaster AWE64
Value recognized my the system.  Anyway, I looked at the
SoundBlaster-Awe mini howto and the Sound-Howto and the Kernel-Howto.

1)  i used make menuconfig.
2)  i picked the relevant options.
3)  i saved the configuration.

The SoundBlaster-Awe mini told me to do : make-pkg ... (something like
that)
i couldn't.

4)  so instead i did make dep
5) then make clean
6) make zImage
7) make zdisk

8) make modules
9)  make modules_install

10) cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/zImage /dev/fd0

that should be the end?  did i forget something?
when i boot up, it sees the SoundBlaster, but it then gives me a slew
of messages about the modules, how it can't see the vfat or the gpm
mouse devices.

Does anyone else have this problem?  Can someone give me an answer?
(preferably someone with a Debian system?)