Re: how do I extract a 2.6 gigabyte .tar.gz file ?

On Wed, 28 Oct 1998, Kenneth Scharf wrote:

> Mind you, it's a bit of a worry we are being outdone by Windows.
[...]
> Pehaps it's time for the ex3fs?  Hmmm, might look at the source for
> ex2fs (and all utilities) for file pointers and change the type to
> long int (64 bit int anyway).  Probably not as simple as that, but it
> sure needs to be done.

 There was talk a few months ago on linux-kernel about how to do this. You
could take a look at the archives. Sorry, I'm not sure where they are...

> I wonder what happens now if I try to create a tar image over 2gb (on
> my tape drive, that is).  Probably will work since the image is never
> really a file as long as it stays on the tape.

 Yup, tape drives aren't random access and don't go through the VFS layer
of the kernel. (Not that some people weren't looking into 'mounting' a
tape as a drive. It used to be done long ago on some old systems, but they
had special hardware and there weren't so many orders of magnitude of
difference between the speed of memory and the speed of tape.)

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles        (248) 377-7735         ray.ingles@fanucrobotics.com

  "...Windows - which is often referred to as 'the French labor union
                     of software'..." - Dave Barry