Re: how do I extract a 2.6 gigabyte .tar.gz file ?

Perhaps it's still ON the fat32 file system.

Mind you, it's a bit of a worry we are being outdone by Windows.
A 2Gb limit is almost unreasonable these days; I have some 400-500Mb
MPEG video files here, so a 2Gb one isn't out of the question,
especially with DVD.

Pehaps it's time for the ex3fs?  Hmmm, might look at the source for
ex2fs (and all utilities) for file pointers and change the type to
long int (64 bit int anyway).  Probably not as simple as that, but it
sure needs to be done.

I wonder what happens now if I try to create a tar image over 2gb (on
my tape drive, that is).  Probably will work since the image is never
really a file as long as it stays on the tape.