Re: how do I extract a 2.6 gigabyte .tar.gz file ?

In article <[🔎] sa73e883ylp.fsf@chtorr.cs.sandia.gov> you write:
>That was an excellent idea, unfortunately Darxus has already tried
>this and it didn't work for him. Perhaps gzip tries to read the whole
>file and even though, in your case, the file is truncated it'll do
>what it can. In Darxus' case that means it's trying to read past the
>2GB limit and that's a no-no under 80x86 based Linux systems.
>
>However, now knowing that gzip will in fact decompress a file that's
>lost it's tail, Darxus could try to write a little C program that calls
>truncate() to truncate his file to around 2GB (a little less might be
>a good idea) and see what he can do with it.

Just curious: Does one of

gunzip < file.gz | tar ...

OR

cat file.gz | gunzip | tar ...

work?

My feeling is that the second one (at least) should force gunzip to
read the file sequentially, hence there shouldn't be a problem.

However, I may have misunderstood something.