Re: how do I extract a 2.6 gigabyte .tar.gz file ?

On Tue, 27 Oct 1998, Darxus wrote:
> [...]
[...]
> > |  You can force gzip to handle it as a stream. Try something like:
> > |  cat tarfile.tgz | gunzip -c | tar xvf -
[...]
> > It's even simpler:
> >
> > gzip -d -c tarfile.tgz |tar xvf -
[...]
> They are both lovely suggestions, unfortunately the problem is a bit more
> substantial.  The 1st thing I tried was "tar -zxvf home.tgz", and a couple
> of the things I tried soon after that were cat and less.

 Well, darn. Okay, I know you can access the first 2GB of it. If you chop
off the back .6GB, and make the file under 2GB, "tar xzvf" and all the
other lovely suggestions will extract just fine up until the cut.

 Yes, you can extract a gzip-compressed file on the fly, otherwise feeding
it a file through stdin wouldn't work. :-> Unfortunately, you won't be
able to get at that last 600MB. :-<

 There *is* support for >2GB files somewhere, but I think you'll have to
do some web searches or hit the linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu mailing list
for info on where and how. (Or, as has also been suggested, find a 64-bit
machine. :-/ )

 WinZip can handle .tgz files, and if Windows can handle 2.6GB files,
WinZip should be able to read it. You might be able to use WinZip to split
the archive into two smaller files that *can* be stored on ext2.

Sincerely,

Ray Ingles                 "...it's not a plain, ordinary steel nut: it's a
        (248) 377-7735      'hexiform rotatable surface compression unit',
                            which is why it cost $2,043 for just one..."
ray.ingles@fanucrobotics.com  William Lutz, on Pentagonese, in _Doublespeak_