Re: how do I extract a 2.6 gigabyte .tar.gz file ?

On 27 Oct 1998, Gary L. Hennigan wrote:

> | > I felt like checking.  Oops.  When I reinstalled & tried to restore it, I
> | > found out that gzip can't seek to the end of the file (dies around 2gb?).
> |
> |  You can force gzip to handle it as a stream. Try something like:
> |
> |  cat tarfile.tgz | gunzip -c | tar xvf -
> |
> |  The "-c" tells gunzip to pipe it to stdout, and the "xvf -" tells tar
> | to verbosely extract the file coming into stdin. If I understand your
> | problem correctly, this should work.
>
> It's even simpler:
>
> gzip -d -c tarfile.tgz |tar xvf -
>
> or, if you're using GNU Tar, and you are under Debian):
>
> tar xzvf tarfile.tgz

They are both lovely suggestions, unfortunately the problem is a bit more
substantial.  The 1st thing I tried was "tar -zxvf home.tgz", and a couple
of the things I tried soon after that were cat and less.  Neither of which
read any of it -- less is the only thing that did anything useful, which
was saying "Cannot seek to that file position" which made me think "hmm,
did I hear something about stuff not being able to seek past 2gb??"

You might think that it would sit there chewing on the file for a bit
before it got to some point beyond what it could deal with.  Nope.  Didn't
even start -- failed to even open the file up.

Any more ideas ?  :)

***PGP fingerprint = D5 EB F8 E7 64 55 CF 91  C2 4F E0 4D 18 B6 7C 27***
                              Chaos reigns.