Re: how do I extract a 2.6 gigabyte .tar.gz file ?

Hi,

>They are both lovely suggestions, unfortunately the problem is a bit more
>substantial.  The 1st thing I tried was "tar -zxvf home.tgz", and a couple
>of the things I tried soon after that were cat and less.  Neither of which
>read any of it -- less is the only thing that did anything useful, which
>was saying "Cannot seek to that file position" which made me think "hmm,
>did I hear something about stuff not being able to seek past 2gb??"

>You might think that it would sit there chewing on the file for a bit
>before it got to some point beyond what it could deal with.  Nope.  Didn't
>even start -- failed to even open the file up.

>Any more ideas ?  :)

Try to patch your gzip/cat/less (for whatever you have the source).
The kernel definitly can handle files up to 4gig.
i think some "old" tools use "long int" for the filepos ... which gets you into
trouble
when trying to use the high/sign-bit (2 gig => 2^31, 4 gig => 2^32).

i would be more specific ... but i'm at work and only got this f...ing
N(o)T(hanx) Machine :(

i think you should watch out for seek and lseek (or something similar).

btw: please don't mind my "bad english" ... ;)

ciao
Anti