Re: how do I extract a 2.6 gigabyte .tar.gz file ?

Well... I would say I've had substantial success.

Cygnus gnu win32 gzip/tar was able to extract my 2.6 gigabyte .tar.gz, and
all the filenames seemed to be intact in windows' long filename format.
But when I booted back to Linux, and attempted to copy the files over to
my current home directory, I noticed that all the filenames were the 8.3
version -- long filenames were not working on my fat32 partition.  None of
them are now.  I *know* this used to work.  Any idea why it isn't now ?

I can get my filenames intact (I think) by booting back to windows, and
using the cygnus stuff to re tar & gzip the stuff I extracted from my
2.6gb file, but I would really like to get my long filename support back.

BTW:  The Cygnus gnu win32 thing is an implementation of the unix api
under win32 (or something like that) -- basically, it'll let you compile
& run unix stuff under windows 95/NT.  gcc is capable of recompiling
itself with this thing.  And it comes with a bunch of unix utilities, and
the bash shell.  I'm still not used to running a bash shell in win95...
oh, and you can find all of this at (of course) http://www.cygnus.com.
***PGP fingerprint = D5 EB F8 E7 64 55 CF 91  C2 4F E0 4D 18 B6 7C 27***
                              Chaos reigns.