Re: Desperately in need of a Database app....

I have been able to connect to a postgresql database on a linux machine
from MS Access97 with the postODBC driver on a NT 4 workstation.  I had
to redo my ODBC and try it again before I answered because problems on
my NT workstation required a re-install.

1 - I installed postODBC versio 6.30.0249 (Insite Distribution Systems).
2 - Set up a datasource (with ip address of Linux machine, database name
and login name and pasword to access the database)
3 - open Access97
4 - create an Access97 database
5 - link to the postgresql database (file/get external data/link tables)
6 - (at bottom of window) select file type ODBC databases ()
7 - (next window/machine datasource tab) select datasource (postODBC to
postgresql)
8 - (next window) select tables
9 - select fields to point to unique records
10 - when you are through with all the table windows, you can open a
table and you should have the data from your postgresql database

That's as far as I have gotten.  I haven't tried to insert or update
records, yet.

I am trying to find out how to get data from my MS SQL databases to
postgresql.  I have read in MS literature that I should be able to
replicate from MS to an ODBC database, but the set up for replication is
a real pain (and I haven't been able to get it working MS SQL to MS
SQL).  I want to dump the data out of MS SQL and then load it into
postgresql (maybe bcp?).

let me know if this works for you and if you find a way to get data out
of MS SQL and into postgresql.

Damon Muller wrote:

> On Sun, 25 Oct 1998 14:05:30 -0600 (CST)
> "D'jinnie" <jinn@irony.org> wrote:
>
> > I have attempted to set up ODBC with Postgres, and I think I got the ODBC
> > part working (I'm doing this for my work, trying to come up with an
> > alternative to M$ SQL :) but I've no clue how to make Access talk to
> > Postgres...if anyone got this working, I would appreciate any and all
> > hints and suggestions :)
>
> I haven't actually tried getting PostgreSQL working with Access (I've
> thought about it, but haven't got around to it yet...), so I can't
> specifically help you there.
>
> However, I have now got MySQL working with Access97 (Under NT 4
> Workstation), and that works great. You might want to look at mySQL -
> it's not as free as PostgreSQL, but it looks like a very nice SQL
> server, and there seems to be heaps of add-ons and goodies for it. Nice
> and quick too.
>
> HTH,
>
> damon
>
> --
> Damon Muller              | Did a large procession wave their torches
> (damon@empire.net.au)     | As my head fell in the basket,
> Network Administrator     | And was everyone dancing on the casket...
> EmpireNET                 |                      - TBMG, "Dead"
>
> --

Greg Frye, APS
California Environmental Protection Agency
Air Resources Board
Monitoring and Laboratory Division
1927 13th Street
P. O. Box 2815