Re: DayLight Saving - in Australia

Quoting Hamish Moffatt (hamish@debian.org):
> On Sun, Oct 25, 1998 at 07:53:00PM +0100, Torsten Hilbrich wrote:
> > Linux will not change the clock at all (contrary to Windows).  All
> > Linux does is to interpret the time in a different way.
> [...]
> > If the CMOS clock is set to local time Linux won't adapt to the change
> > between daylight saving and normal time IIRC.
>
> All my systems are set to local time, and they all adjusted to daylight
> savings correctly.

Have you rebooted yet? The diff is that if your CMOS clock is set to
UTC, it's correct regardless of the local tz; that's not the case if the
CMOS clock is set to some local tz. I think the problem may even be
taken care of if you do a 'shutdown,' but things'll definately be
screwed up if your machine crashes or loses power. (That's why I find it
really important to use UTC--if a machine loses power 4 months after DST
starts, I often forget to check to make sure the time's right. netdate
will fix this, but the startup logs will look a bit funky...)

Mike Stone