Re: DayLight Saving - in Australia

On Tue, Oct 27, 1998 at 07:27:49AM -0500, Michael Stone wrote:
> Quoting Hamish Moffatt (hamish@debian.org):
> > On Sun, Oct 25, 1998 at 07:53:00PM +0100, Torsten Hilbrich wrote:
> > > Linux will not change the clock at all (contrary to Windows).  All
> > > Linux does is to interpret the time in a different way.
> > [...]
> > > If the CMOS clock is set to local time Linux won't adapt to the change
> > > between daylight saving and normal time IIRC.
> >
> > All my systems are set to local time, and they all adjusted to daylight
> > savings correctly.
>
> Have you rebooted yet? The diff is that if your CMOS clock is set to
> UTC, it's correct regardless of the local tz; that's not the case if the
> CMOS clock is set to some local tz. I think the problem may even be

As I mentioned before, the CMOS clock is not adjusted, but the software
clock is. That's fine with me; I've just logged on and run "hwclock -w"
on them. Yes, the clock would be wrong on the next startup; fortunately,
one of these boxes has been up 139 days so far and probably won't
need a reboot for another 139.

This box was deployed almost two years ago and all downtime has been
power or hardware related. It's co-located at an ISP; at the first ISP,
we had 180 days up but it got rebooted unnecessarily to fix a routing
problem.  At the current ISP, we had some power supply
problems which were given < 10 day uptimes but they've been fixed
(and we're still not even on the UPS, which I think is sitting behind
the rack awaiting a good time for installation). We had minor hardware
failure in February which lead to a couple of days offline too. The
downtime 139 days ago was to install a new modem; while we do have
PnP hardware, we don't quite have hot-swappable yet :-)

It was deployed with Debian 1.1, upgraded to 1.2 then 1.3 over the net
without a reboot (during the 180 day stint) and later to 2.0. A few
weeks ago there were a couple of unhandled kernel exceptions in the logs,
but it's still working just fine; Linux 2.0.34.

Linux rocks.

Hamish