Strange firewall non-function or nag-ware?

Hi!

Last night a friend was showing me the latest and greatest sniffing
toy, Ether-Boy", which he was running from behind a Debian
Masquerading firewall.

The Windows Sniffer thing showed a concerted attack on his LAN thru
the firewall. Parotociols being used included lots of Appltalk and
ICMP.

The Firewall in question has a kernel with only IP, Firewallwalling
and masqerading, _no_ appletalk.

Plus we can't ping thru the thing, so I have severe doubts as to
whether it was real. Running sniffit outside the firewall showed no
traffic to the "offender" excpet if we pinged it or ran at it's ports.

I suspect that the "Ether Boy" is nasty nagware. Or is the firewall
broken?

Opinions welcome. Expert opinions encouraged.

John F.