Re: conflicts in Debian Distributions

On Mon, Oct 26, 1998 at 09:38:46PM +0200, Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 26, 1998 at 11:05:42AM -0800, Kenneth Scharf wrote:
>
> The point Kenneth is making is true.  However:
>
> > You can't have two (or more) mail clients installed at the same
> > time,
> > There are at least half a dozen window managers in X for example,
> > you can only use one.  Here though all may be copied to the disk,
> > but only one may be 'installed'.
>
> Both of these examples are bogus.  You can have as many mail clients
> (mail user agents, MUA) installed as you want.

[snip]

> The real problem is with system daemons.  For example: you cannot run
> two different mail transfer agents (MTA) on one system simultaneously.
> But this is not a problem, as you don't want to run more than one MTA.

remembering back to the original post which started this discussion
the proposal was to have an "Install everything".

While the idea that conflicts can all be resolved and we can have NO conflicts
is wrong, I think this would be doable.

Why not just install every package that doesn't conflict with anything
that has a higher priority? I think an option like that could be
very usefull for someone who wants "Everything". This could easily be
made one of the "Pre-selections" at install time.

> > I would agree however, that a good description of each package would
> > help you decide what to install.
>
> Please tell me, what you would consider a good description!  Feel free
> to pick some packages and rewrite their descriptions; you can post the
> results here (or to debian-devel, if you prefer) for public scrutiny.

Also if a description is really bad... you are free to file
a wishlist big against the package with an updated version of the
description ;)

-Steve

We don't believe this to be a coincidence."
                -- Jeremy S. Anderson