RE: Still having Printer Problems

At 06:18 AM 10/26/1998 -0600, you wrote:
>OK, this is how my printcap looks.  I still get the insidious message
>'transfer to lp@localhost failed'
>What could be causing this? OR, what can I change in my printcap that
>mught get my printer working.
>It is an HP660C but I would think I could still get garbage out of it by
>typing 'lp test'?
>

>Is there anything special I need to do to set up magicfilter other than
>put it in my printcap?
>

> lp:\
>
>        :lp=/dev/lp1:\
>        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
>        :mx#0:\
>        :sh:
>        :if=/usr/sbin/magicfilter:\

Okay, after specifying the options in printcap, you then need to tell lpr
to read that file. You can reboot (but why reboot? this ain't winders) or
you can issue the command:
	lpc reread all
This tells lpr/lpc to read all the entries in printcap. Or you could just say:
	lpc reread lp
to read just the lp entries (if you had 20 printers defined, you might want
to do this).

Then to double-check what lpr/lpc read, issue the command:
	lpc printcap all

I'd run this last command first, to see if the printer utility knows about
the changes you've made in printcap, then do the "lpc reread all" command,
then run the "lpc printcap all" command again to make sure the changes were
read. Now try printing and see what happens.

Kent

Kent West, Technology Support
kent.west@infotech.acu.edu
Abilene Christian Univ., Abilene, TX
915-674-2557  FAX: 915.674.6724
Amateur Radio: KC5ENO
Debian Linux: Ride the wave with the penguins!