Re: Mail; how to do remote... (was Re: need help getting X server running...)

On Sun, Oct 25, 1998 at 05:11:28PM -0800, Jesse Evans wrote:
>     Now, on to the next item... How do I deal with mail? I've got a dial-up connection through
> an ISP, so I need to somehow configure linux to connect to my POP account. Where do I look and what do I do?

You could install a mail client that can access a pop account on its own.
Netscape mail is one program that I know of that can do this.  Pine is
another, but due to license problems, you can't get ready-to-go Pine
binaries for Debian any more.

If you want to use a mail client that cant do its own pop access, you can
use fetchmail to get your mail, and then read it with anything you want.

I use Mutt.  I suspect that it is the most popular mail client among Debian
users.  I like it cuz it is fast, snazzy lookin, and can live in an xterm.
But I suggest you read the dselect descriptions, install a few likely
looking suspects, and do your own evaluation.

>     Finally, what do you all use for your web browsers? The only one that shows up in Dselect is Netscape.
> Are there any others available?

I use Netscape 3.04.  There  *are* others available.  I checked some of them
out about a year ago.  To me, they all seemed kinda lame compaired to
Netscape.

Mike