Re: Dselect Woes Revisited

On Sun, 25 Oct 1998, Patrick Durusau wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> Yes "Install All Packages" would be incorrect due to conflicts between
> packages. As I indicated in my earlier post it was also not possible to
> select the packages listed on the initial screen, as a return there
> simply dumps the user into the "Select" screen. Packages such as
> "admin," etc. that are listed on the dselect screen prior to the
> individual packages being listed.

You do not press "return" at the ALL Packages line, use the down arrow to
move down to the package of interest and use + to add it, - to disable it,
_ to completely purge it from the system. If you are on the "All Packages"
line and attempt to press "+" it will try to select "All Packages" for
installation which will fail.

Your first run through dselect is the time to UNSELECT packages that you
do not want. If you will be installing over a dialup connection, you might
want to unselect emacs, choose a different editor, choose a different MTA
than smail ( exim or sendmail are good choices ) and then simply download
the packages that are already selected for you.  Once you have done that,
press <RETURN> (which means "All Done") and that will take you to the next
step in the main menu which will be install.

After these packages are installed, then go BACK to the selection menu and
add any other packages you might want.

> I installed Slackware from floppy disks several years ago and thought at
> first glance that the dselect utility might prove useful with the CD-ROM
> release. Rather than the second and third screens of suggestions,
> conflicts, etc., the utility could simply include/exclude the relevant
> files automatically. A more organized presentation of the packages with
> required files would also make it much easier to use.

Dselect is a sysadmin's dream. Its stongest point is in keeping your
system updated AFTER installation. It is not as useful for the newbie as
an initial installation tool but it is a dream come true after you get
everything running.  Want to install a new package? Fire up dselect, grab
the latest list of available packages, select it, install it, done.

George Bonser

The Linux "We're never going out of business" sale at an FTP site near you!