Dselect Woes Revisited

Greetings,

Yes "Install All Packages" would be incorrect due to conflicts between
packages. As I indicated in my earlier post it was also not possible to
select the packages listed on the initial screen, as a return there
simply dumps the user into the "Select" screen. Packages such as
"admin," etc. that are listed on the dselect screen prior to the
individual packages being listed.

Yes, I did answer all the X86Config questions for a configuration file
to be written prior to the directory problem I mentioned. Despite having
exited the configuration menu perhaps it had simply not be written.

Actually on the re-install I got an error message saying that the file
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XF86Config should exist and it does not. It suggested
that I file a bug report on this error.

I installed Slackware from floppy disks several years ago and thought at
first glance that the dselect utility might prove useful with the CD-ROM
release. Rather than the second and third screens of suggestions,
conflicts, etc., the utility could simply include/exclude the relevant
files automatically. A more organized presentation of the packages with
required files would also make it much easier to use.

Patrick
pdurusau@mediaone.net