Re: tar and the braindead man

On Sun, 25 Oct 1998 servis@purdue.edu wrote:

> You can't mount a tape. You need to write directly to the tape.
> Otherwise how could you do a full backup of your largest partition if
> it was over 50% full?
>
> Do this instead:
>
> tar -cvf /dev/st0 /usr/thedirectory
>
> where /dev/st0 is the device file for your tape.  Assuming your tape is
> a scsi one(since it is a dat this is most likely true), you have scsi
> tape support for the kernel and it is your only or first one found by
> the kernel then the above device is correct.

To the best of my knowledge  the f option is not needed unless you
want to create, test or extract from a file. the actual command would
be
	tar -cv /path/to/tar/up

tar automagically looks for the first tape device and writes it's
archive there. if you doubt me then read the tar man page or the
appropriate HOWTO.

Nikolai