Re: Help re x windows

On Thu, 22 Oct 1998, Derek McCabe wrote:

> Hi, people!
>     I have a problem. I have tried to install Xwindows on my 486100, but
> it 'cannot find the packages'. I've used dpkg to... de-package the files
> but none of the resulting files run at all.

What exactly are you trying to do? you should get the following packages
(ftp them in binary mode to your hdd, or other suitable medium (floppy,
zip or whatever)):
xserver-vga16 (section x11)
xserver-svga (section x11)
<and any one specific to your card>
makedev >=1.6-8 (base)
libc6 (base)
zlib1g (section libs)
xfntbase (section x11)
xfnt75 (section x11)
xlib6g (section x11)

then dpkg -i filename.deb
(you need to do these in the right order: base ones first, then the
libraries and xfnts then the servers).

> I've tried doing it from my
> Win98 partition, but same result. I've used dselect, but again all I get
> is useless files. I have reinstalled, reformatted, and reinstalled, but
> no go. The machine in question has no internet access, and I don't have
> any idea on how to set up my internet account with Linux.

Depeding on your ISP, this should be possible...

>I tried
> mounting my hard disk (vfat) but again, no go. I've tard and retard my
> files in a futile attempt to copy them to disk... I even created my own
> mini packages file. None of this works, and I have (gasp) almost given
> up hope. Other then lending out my hard disk to a friend who won't loan
> out the CD, what else can I do?

He won't lend you a debian CD? that's poor form. I suggest you flame him.

<rant>_please_ don't post with horribly long lines. It makes it a pain in
the neck to try and reply to your mail.

HTH,

Matthew

--