Re: Base2_0.tgz missing man command.

On Thu, 22 Oct 1998, Jim wrote:

> Hi. I'm new to the group and to Linux.
>
> I have installed Debian on my 486 laptop from Dos with files from
> ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/main/disks-i386/current/
> and have found base2_0.tgz is missing the man executable file.
>
> I have downloaded another copy of base2_0.tgz from
> ftp://ftp.dti.ad.jp/.1/Linux/debian/hamm/hamm/disks-i386/2.0.10_1998-07-17/base2_0.tgz
>
> and found that it too is missing the command files.
>
> I say they are missing because when I install the system the man command
> is not present on the drive. Also, when I  unzip the files on my WIn95
> machine Winzip encounters errors and cannot create the output file
> man(because ot's not there).
>
> Does anyone know of a package that includes these files?  I have noticed
> a lot of commands are missing which I believe should be in the basic
> install.

The "basic install" is not finished until you have run dselect and downloaded
the default packages. At this stage, dpkg -l will display at least about
140 packages. What you have is the roughly 60 packages from base2_0.tgz
which corresponds to the five base floppies. Each of these 60 packages
has to justify its need for *installing* the next stage of the bootstrap
process, else the floppy count increases. That probably doesn't concern
you as you say you have DOS. (I dodge the problem with a zip drive.)

> Also, my /proc directory is full  of zero byte files. When I
> ran cat kmsg from /proc/ I noticed that kmsg  is a zero byte file ( I do
> have ls -l and vdir)  and that there are many zero byte files in this
> directory. Is this normal?

They aren't real files, but are produced out of thin air by the kernel.
So most of them can't have a size, because you'd have to read them first
to see what comes out. Odd one do, like kcore which is as big as the
amount of memory you have, not surprisingly.

Cheers,