Base2_0.tgz missing man command.

Hi. I'm new to the group and to Linux.

I have installed Debian on my 486 laptop from Dos with files from
ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/main/disks-i386/current/
and have found base2_0.tgz is missing the man executable file.

I have downloaded another copy of base2_0.tgz from
ftp://ftp.dti.ad.jp/.1/Linux/debian/hamm/hamm/disks-i386/2.0.10_1998-07-17/base2_0.tgz

and found that it too is missing the command files.

I say they are missing because when I install the system the man command
is not present on the drive. Also, when I  unzip the files on my WIn95
machine Winzip encounters errors and cannot create the output file
man(because ot's not there).

Does anyone know of a package that includes these files?  I have noticed
a lot of commands are missing which I believe should be in the basic
install. Also, my /proc directory is full  of zero byte files. When I
ran cat kmsg from /proc/ I noticed that kmsg  is a zero byte file ( I do
have ls -l and vdir)  and that there are many zero byte files in this
directory. Is this normal?

Jim