Re: ftp1.us.debian.org and FTP mirrors

Package: Apt
Version: N/A
Severity: Wishlist

I'm submitting this as a bug in hope that we might want apt to use a
random ftp-site carrying debian when installing - instead of everyone
using the same host (ftp1.us.debian.org)

This will spread the load between all the ftp-servers on the mirrorlist.
Maybe there could even be provided a percentage to the different sites,
concerning how often that exactly host should be chosen (hereby
considering the different connection speeds the debian mirrors have
available)

And/or maybe make the decision based on the domainname of localhost (e.g.
most .dk hosts should be directed to
ftp://sunsite.auc.dk/pub/os/linux/debian/...)

I've thought about it before, but never got it to the lists before now.
So here goes :-))

/Frock