Re: Can I turn off portmap?

In article <cistron.012301bdfc08$c5dbdba0$071b9a8e@PPC1.genxl.com>,
Peter Iannarelli <Peter.Iannarelli@genxl.com> wrote:
>You can turn off the portmapper vi /etc/init.d/xinetd stop or
>/etc/init.d/inetd stop. This however is not recommend because
>any requests comming in on ports will not be serviced. Note.
>portmaps are used to save system resources. It starts up
>listening daemons on an as required basis as opposed to
>having those daemon running and listening at all times.

That's not true. You're turning off inetd here, not the portmapper.
Those 2 are seperate programs with seperate functionality. If you
turn off inetd, you won't be able to log in with telnet/rlogin anymore!

To turn of the portmapper, just comment it out in /etc/init.d/netbase

Mike.
--
  "Did I ever tell you about the illusion of free will?"
    -- Sheriff Lucas Buck, ultimate BOFH.