Re: Can I turn off portmap?

Hello:

I am sure you are right. I'm running xinetd for the added security.
When I read my /etc/init.d/xinetd --> stop) It shuts down the
portmapper. start) starts up the portmapper. It is true that
it does not have to be run however, and correct me if I'm wrong
it controls the initiation of listening daemons ( ie, in.telnetd ),
as opposed to running in.telnetd as a deamon.

Peter

Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:

> In article <cistron.012301bdfc08$c5dbdba0$071b9a8e@PPC1.genxl.com>,
> Peter Iannarelli <Peter.Iannarelli@genxl.com> wrote:
> >You can turn off the portmapper vi /etc/init.d/xinetd stop or
> >/etc/init.d/inetd stop. This however is not recommend because
> >any requests comming in on ports will not be serviced. Note.
> >portmaps are used to save system resources. It starts up
> >listening daemons on an as required basis as opposed to
> >having those daemon running and listening at all times.
>
> That's not true. You're turning off inetd here, not the portmapper.
> Those 2 are seperate programs with seperate functionality. If you
> turn off inetd, you won't be able to log in with telnet/rlogin anymore!
>
> To turn of the portmapper, just comment it out in /etc/init.d/netbase
>
> Mike.
> --
>   "Did I ever tell you about the illusion of free will?"
>     -- Sheriff Lucas Buck, ultimate BOFH.
>
> --
begin:          vcard
fn:             Peter Iannarelli
n:              Iannarelli;Peter
org:            GenX Internet Laboratories Inc.
adr:            20 Madison Ave.;;;Toronto;Ontario;M5R 2S1;Canada
email;internet: Peter.Iannarelli@genxl.com
title:          Engineer
tel;work:       1+ 416 929 1885
tel;fax:        1+ 416 929 1056