Problems after upgrade! Please help.

I'm in deep trouble. Yesterday I upgraded some packages from hamm to
slink, and since
then I've been unable to use my ppp link. I'm writing from a
non-mantained win 95 I
have in hand, because I can't do it under linux.

pon stalls without dialing or returning the prompt, and at
/var/log/messages there are
a couple of strange "-- MARK --" messages that I don't really know are
related.

One of the packages I upgraded is netstd. Even yesterday I noted that I
could not do
a telnet anymore, but I said: "never mind" for a while and let it go.
It's 3.07-5.

Another suspicious move was downgrading perl to the latest version at
slink, as I was told
to do by some developers while I was having problems with a include. I
removed perl-suid
also while doing all that. Later I installed the perl-suid again.

Also, login as root, or "su"ing to root doesn't work also (it stalls and
does not give
an error message or the prompt).

If you can help me, please email me, as I'm desperate.

Please, forward me at zorzella@iname.com, as I'm not really being able
to read the list.

Thanks a lot.