smail problems

A problem has shown up all of a sudden on my Debian 2.0 system.
Everything worked fine until yesterday.

Now when I try to send mail, about half the time it spits out

ROUTER:smart_host TRANSPORT:smtp ERROR:(ERR164) transport smtp: BIND
server failure: : Connection timed out

into /var/log/smail/logfile almost immediately after I hit send and the
message is "deferred" and sits in my outgoing mailq for a long time.

I had not changed any settings, so I am at a loss as to what broke.   I
just tried messing with bindconfig and smailconfig some and nothing
changed.

Any ideas?