taper fails to finish under cron

Hi all,

I can't get taper to finish its run when called from roots crontab.
When I run it from roots command line it works just fine.  My crontab
entry is:

38 0 * * 0,1,3,5 /sbin/taper -U @full

It starts and selects the fileset that is defined in 'full'.  But then
it errors with the following error:

  Backup commenced at Mon Oct 19 01:14:07 1998

  Unable to start backup child
  Backup ABORTED

  Backup finished at Mon Oct 19 01:26:12 1998

Then cron sends an email which states:

  Unable to start backup child
  sh: /var/tmp/taper12645aaa: No such file or directory

/var/tmp has permissions of

   5 drwxrwxrwt   2 root     root         5120 Oct 19 01:26 /var/tmp/

What should I be looking for?  Any hints on how to get this to work
under cron?

Thanks,

--
Brian