Re: ppp vs windows dialup networking

Kenneth Scharf wrote:

> when I connect to my isp in windows I get a dialog box showing the
> progress of the connection.  It finally reports the connection speed
> that the modem achieved.  Is there any way to get this information
> when connecting via ppp?
>
> Also, I have had a problem where the first time I ran pon it would
> fail to dial out and connect, If I kill the first pppd and then
> restart pon
>	 it always connects on the second try.

Your  /etc/chatscripts/provider  probably needs an extra line.
On the 1st try ATZ isn't resetting to the modem optimum for ppp
Do the following:

After a successful 2nd, do a
	cat /var/log/ppp.log
and see the ATxxxxx sent to the modem
Then modify your /etc/provider so it reads like the following

---------------------
ABORT BUSY
ABORT "NO CARRIER"
ABORT VOICE
ABORT "NO DIALTONE"
ABORT "NO ANSWER"
"" ATZ
OK ATE0Q0S0=0M0V1X1&C1&D2    << your new line, I added in the "M0" for
quiet modem"
OK ATDT3012539182
CONNECT \d\c