ppp vs windows dialup networking

when I connect to my isp in windows I get a dialog box showing the
progress of the connection.  It finally reports the connection speed
that the modem achieved.  Is there any way to get this information
when connecting via ppp?

Also, I have had a problem where the first time I ran pon it would
fail to dial out and connect, If I kill the first pppd and then
restart pon it always connects on the second try.  Now some insight.
I bought a new modem and (hayes v.90 to replace my motorola modem
surfer 28.8 ... both external) and installed it under windows.  Until
I changed my dialup network properties to use the new modem it refused
to dial out.  But both modems were on the same port, and both obey the
same hayes AT command set.  So what gives?  Windows must be first
checking that the make and model of modem specified are connected to
the port.  So windows goes through some pre-dial handshaking with the
modem before dialing.  Can this be added to ppp (probably sets some S
register values and reads them?).

BTW on linux all I had to do was just plug in the new modem and it
worked.  (So who has the REAL plug and play?).