Re: compiling 2.0.35 kernel for Hamm?

On Mon, 19 Oct 1998, Chris Evans wrote:

> It seems I need to upgrade the 2.0.34 kernel I have for Hamm with
> a 2.0.35 kernel which has better support for the dawicontrol SCSI
> controller I've now got which uses an ncr53c875 chip.  At the
> moment the system seems to hang from time to time and one
> occasion showed a scsi abort on a timeout so I think something in
> the ncr53c8xxx module is the problem.  So how do I install 2.0.35?
>
> I have the kernel package installed and have managed to recompile
> and install a kernel once before so I think I can do that, what I don't
> know at the moment is how I'd get the 2.0.35 kernel and put it in a
> place where the kernel package would be able to use it for the
> recompile.  As far as I can see Hamm only has 2.0.33 and 2.0.34.
> All advice gratefully received.

You can either get the kernel-source package from slink or the tarball
from ftp.kernel.org, etc.  If you get the latter, kernel package doesn't
care where you put it.   Either /usr/src or /usr/local will do, for
example.  You need to run kernel package from the top level directory of
the linux source and it will place the resultant .deb file in the next
higher directory.

Bob

----