Re: [Dual boot] dual boot NT and debian?

On Fri, 16 Oct 1998, Frank Hollmann wrote:

> > On Fri, 16 Oct 1998, Mrpeabody wrote:
> >
> > > I currently have debian running on a ide drive on my computer and I have
> > > recently purchases a scsi drive so that I can boot windows from the
> > > scsi.  Can I use lilo to tell it to boot the scsi drive up and run
> > > windows?  Trying to make a dual boot machine.
> >
> > I only know two people running dual boot NT/linux (actually tri-boot
> > NT/95/linux) and they inform me that lilo won't boot NT or NT need the
> > mbr or something and so they have to use the NT bootloader and loadlin
> > to get linux bootstraped.
> >
> > Nikolai
> >
> Lilo can be installed in the mbr, if you use a primary partition for
> ms-dos. After the Installation of msdos install linux or windows nt.
> In this special case, the nt-loader will be installed in the
> primary dos-partition. lilo can no be instructed to boot NT via the dos partition.

i have on my pc linux , nt and dos and all seems to coexist with no
problem

i installed first dos on an eide partiton , then linux on a scsi disk
(all for him that's better) and the rest of the eide disk ( on PMaster)
is for winnt
i use  nt's boot manager and i installed lilo on the partiton boot record
of the linux partiton ... then i add  one line  to boot.ini ( nt's boot
manager )

c:\bootsect.lin="Linux"      which mean  that the first 512 byte of my
linux partiotn (or something like that ) are on c:\bootsect.lin

then on linux i  used dd

in this meaning (assuming c: is /dosc )

dd if=/dev/sda1   of=/dosc/bootsect.lin bs=512 count=1
            ^
            my linux partiton

i hope this would clear your porblem too

samuele

	when a man lies he murders some part of the world
	these are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives
	all this i cannot bear to witness any longer
	cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

	(cliff burton)