RE: Hiding a Linux computer

Quoting Michael Stone[SMTP:mstone@itri.loyola.edu]
=> ...Or it works like the helpdesk I work on: Someone grabs an IP address,
=> DHCP gives out that address, user gets an IP conflict. User calls us, we
=> call net eng, who bounces the static address and leases it to the DHCP
user.
=> Static user calls us, we ask them why they're screwing up the network.
They
=> complain, we offer to remove the computer from their desk and give it to
=> someone who has a little less free time on their hands :-)...
=
=Or you could use the debian dhcp daemon, so if someone grabs an ip,
=the dhcp server marks it as unavailable and doesn't hand it out. Makes
=sense to me...
=
=Mike Stone

Yeah, makes perfect sense. Why isn't it being done? Because the
Microsoft/Novell DHCP servers don't do it (or don't do it easily - haven't
dug into them very deeply), so it obviously can't be done...

>>--------------------------------------<<

=> Quoting Greg Frye[SMTP:gfrye@arb.ca.gov]
=[snip]
=> (Being on the Win95/MSOffice support team can really give you a crappy
=> outlook on life...)
=>
=> Tom
=> (Another person in a shop that keeps saying, "We can't use Linux -
there's
=> no company to hold responsible if there's problems".)
=>
=Like Microsoft would be held responsible?  There aren't enough lawyers
=to go after M$.

Exactly - and the response to THAT is, "Well... you can still get support
from them" (forgetting you have to PAY them for it!). When Oracle announced
they were going to release a dist. with their product (so you can buy a
"canned" product), they said that it couldn't be as good as the NT
version... They're even talking about dumping the RS6000/AIX box here and
replacing it with NT, since NT runs so much better and more stable...

Anyone know of a non-Dilbert company hiring? :-)