Re: Hiding a Linux computer

On Thu, Oct 15, 1998 at 01:35:49PM -0800, Hogland, Thomas E. wrote:

> > On Thu, Oct 15, 1998 at 12:01:59PM +0200, Rainer Clasen wrote:
> [snip]
> => try putting a "send host-name" statement in your dhclient.conf (see man 5
> => dhclient.conf for details)
> =>
> => > I'd like to not even use the dhcp server but I think that would mean
> I'd
> => > have to setup the Linux machine to be a DNS server wouldn't it?
> =>
> => No! Not using dhcp means guessing a free IP - or better getting a real
> staic
> => one.
> =>
> => >                                                                 I don't
>
> => > know what that would do to the rest of the machines on our network, I
> => > can't be messing them up or else I'll be in hot water.
> =>
> => You can mess at least one box on your net - if you use the same IP as it.
> =>
> =
> =Well if your network works like ours....no problem :)
> =
> =Someone takes an IP.... no problem
> =DHCP server gives out that IP...and the unsuspecting user gets an IP
> =adress conflict.
> =
> =They call the helpdesk...helpdesk calls net eng... that adress is
> =taken out of the DHCP pool and put on the exclude list.
> =
> =-Steve
>
> ...Or it works like the helpdesk I work on: Someone grabs an IP address,
> DHCP gives out that address, user gets an IP conflict. User calls us, we
> call net eng, who bounces the static address and leases it to the DHCP user.
> Static user calls us, we ask them why they're screwing up the network. They
> complain, we offer to remove the computer from their desk and give it to
> someone who has a little less free time on their hands :-)...

Well...
I work at a hospital... ther eis no telling what the person using the IP
was doing (plus...its always possible they don't even know what an IP is
and it may not even be their fault).

Someone migh thave to answer for something if Net Eng compromised
patient care just to smite a user and teach someone a lesson.

besides... half the machines are Macs using "dynamic" adressing in
MacTCP (which is NOT dhcp)...so they get an error...then it steals a new
IP...90% of the time they wont even call the Help Desk

SOon everyone will be on Catalyst 5000 Switches... then we can really
track them down :)

> (Being on the Win95/MSOffice support team can really give you a crappy
> outlook on life...)

esp when Outlook sucks as much as it does! (I had a user specifically
ask me to have their new Outlook acount removed and to put them back
on Helix (unix) e-mail)

In any case..thats why I (the only Macintosh Tech Supporter in our
team) am hopeing to get out of this line of work and into one where I
can use Unix systems all day long.

> (Another person in a shop that keeps saying, "We can't use Linux - there's
> no company to hold responsible if there's problems".)

Bah...Chances are its your own fault anyway...
besides...just blame it all on "Network VooDoo"
and those Gremlins in the closet!

-Steve
who is amazed that anyone thinks the ability to get support for an OS is
more important than having the OS actually work

E-mail "Bumper Stickers":
"A FREE America or a Drug-Free America: You can't have both!"
"honk if you Love Linux"