Re: Changing partition type

M.C. Vernon said
> Dear all,
>
> 	I want to change the type of hda1 from hurd to swap (or hurd swap
> if such a beast exists). Will doing this erase all the data on my disk?

As some on this list recently discovered - YES! Working with the partition
table can cause the loss of data.  Best, first thing you can do *before*
starting this project is backup the system and make sure you have a working
boot/rescue diskette available.

Once you are sure that's taken care of, you can go ahead and manipulate
the partition table on that drive.  Use fdisk (cfdisk if you prefer - I do)
and change the partition in question's type to swap (type 82).  (looking
at cfdisk's type screen shows GNU HURD as type 63...it doesn't list a
HURD SWAP type...)

NOTE!!!  Changing a partition's type WILL result in loss of data on that
partition.  Make sure you have at least two copies of anything on that
partition you feel is valuable.  You have been warned.

> Matthew
>
> --
> Elen sila lumenn' omentielvo
>
> Steward of the Cambridge Tolkien Society
> Selwyn College Computer Support
> http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Chamber/8841/
> http://www.cam.ac.uk/CambUniv/Societies/tolkien/
> http://pick.sel.cam.ac.uk/

Chuck

--
Chuck Stickelman, Owner			E-Mail:	<stick@richnet.net>
Practical Network Design		Voice:	+1-419-529-3841