Re: New Install... "pon" not working

On Fri, 16 Oct 1998, Bob Eidt wrote:

> I Have installed Linux 2.0 from floppy disk to a unit without any non-
> linux partitions and have tried both using "pppconfig" and manually
> editing the provider files as indicated in "install.txt". FTP is the only
> method to my disposal of enhancing my installation.

Sorry to point this out but I hate to see people get things like this
wrong, you installed Debian 2.0 not Linux 2.0, the default kernel for
that release is 2.0.34 I belive.

> Using "pon" and "plog" I get an "OK" in response to "ATZ", I get a
> "CONNECT" in response to the "ATDT1231234". But then a string
> of some sort of PPP negotiation talk is sent and after a while I get
> a message it has been sent 9 times without a response and I
> disconnect.

what form of authentification is being used? are strange things being
done with bit types (I know of at least one ISP that uses 7P2 for the
login then goes to 8N1 for ppp)? have you tried to connect using
minicom and a manual ppp run? can we see the error/"talk" that is
occuring?

Nikolai