Lilo/MBR boot problem: 1FA:

I'm hoping to run a course including the installation towards the end of next week, but the machines I'll be using have a problem.  When debian is installed to boot off the hard disk, a prompt:

1FA:

comes up.  According to the docs, this should mean that I can boot off partition 1 of the hard disk, or a floppy, but booting off partition one doesn't work.

Any solutions to this problem?  I know other people have had it, but haven't yet seen a solution on the lists.

The disk controller is a AHA-2940 (SCSI), but booting NT from the BIOS is no problem...

I know the problem is tied in some way to Lilo and the MBR, but don't know what to do to fix it...

Please respond to my email as well as the list, since I read the list only through the web pages, and need an answer fairly soon (since we may need to cancel the course...).

Cheers

 -duncan