Re: Root password security

On Thu, Oct 15, 1998 at 03:36:13PM +0000, Thomas Lakofski wrote:
> Physical security of the box in question is the only real measure you can
> take (lock it in a box).  Failing this, get a machine (some newer Compaq
> workstations have this) that lets you restrict floppy booting with BIOS
> and has a software case-lock.
>
> It's hard to suggest any other measures other than physical security -- if
> you take out the floppy, someone can always put one in... but you may be
> able to work out something relatively simple which involves locking the
> case closed with a strong lock and then setting the BIOS to boot from hard
> disk first.

Well...you could damage the motherboard FDD controller...but that
seems extreme :)

Could do that then wire the case with explosives...or a big electro magnet...

Short of setting up a system out of a James Bond Movie...
what about a cryptographic file system? I believe there are
patches for such a thing...

afterall...if they can use a boot disk and read/write the drive (ie to
wipe the root password) then they can do anything else too...

-Steve