Re: Hiding a linux computer

On Thu, Oct 15, 1998 at 12:01:59PM +0200, Rainer Clasen wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Jeremy Blonde (scorch_jb@hotmail.com):
> > However a few problems arise.  They are using dhcp, which I can work
> > with (I get the ip address and can hit all the servers, etc.), but this
> > also leaves a record in the dhcp ip address listing in this format:
> >
> > ipaddress     hostname      mac address
> >
> > The Linux machine shows up like this:
> >
> > X.X.X.X     (null)     XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
> >
> > While NT machines show up with an actual hostname not "null".
>
> try putting a "send host-name" statement in your dhclient.conf (see man 5
> dhclient.conf for details)
>
> > I'd like to not even use the dhcp server but I think that would mean I'd
> > have to setup the Linux machine to be a DNS server wouldn't it?
>
> No! Not using dhcp means guessing a free IP - or better getting a real staic
> one.
>
> >                                                                 I don't
> > know what that would do to the rest of the machines on our network, I
> > can't be messing them up or else I'll be in hot water.
>
> You can mess at least one box on your net - if you use the same IP as it.

Well if your network works like ours....no problem :)

Someone takes an IP.... no problem
DHCP server gives out that IP...and the unsuspecting user gets an IP
adress conflict.

They call the helpdesk...helpdesk calls net eng... that adress is
taken out of the DHCP pool and put on the exclude list.

-Steve

E-mail "Bumper Stickers":
"A FREE America or a Drug-Free America: You can't have both!"
"honk if you Love Linux"