Re: Hiding a linux computer

Hi!

Jeremy Blonde (scorch_jb@hotmail.com):
> However a few problems arise.  They are using dhcp, which I can work
> with (I get the ip address and can hit all the servers, etc.), but this
> also leaves a record in the dhcp ip address listing in this format:
>
> ipaddress     hostname      mac address
>
> The Linux machine shows up like this:
>
> X.X.X.X     (null)     XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
>
> While NT machines show up with an actual hostname not "null".

try putting a "send host-name" statement in your dhclient.conf (see man 5
dhclient.conf for details)

> I'd like to not even use the dhcp server but I think that would mean I'd
> have to setup the Linux machine to be a DNS server wouldn't it?

No! Not using dhcp means guessing a free IP - or better getting a real staic
one.

>                                                                 I don't
> know what that would do to the rest of the machines on our network, I
> can't be messing them up or else I'll be in hot water.

You can mess at least one box on your net - if you use the same IP as it.

Rainer

--
KeyID=58341901 fingerprint=A5 57 04 B3 69 88 A1 FB  78 1D B5 64 E0 BF 72 EB