Re: dhcp and/or nis questions?

On Wed, Oct 14, 1998 at 11:18:13AM +0200, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
> In article <cistron.19981014001751.A32250@sectionIV.com>,
> Lee Bradshaw <lee@sectionIV.com> wrote:
> >nis specific problems:
> >
> >When I run dhclient, /etc/resolv.conf is written with the new dns info,
> >but /etc/defaultdomain doesn't change. I guess the file doesn't need to
> >change, but the value returned by (nis)domainname isn't modified either.
> >I'm using the dhcp-beta_2.0b1pl6-0.1 and dhcp-client-beta_2.0b1pl6-0.1.
>
> Your NIS domainname has no relevance to your DNS domainname.

Yes, I was just trying to point out that dhcp was passing some
information correctly (DNS), but it did not seem to be passing the NIS
information.

> If you want to set your NIS domainname to "MICROSOFT" (all caps etc)
> you can do that, it's valid.

I set the domainname to a garbage value, ran dhclient, and then expected
to see the updated nis domainname from dhcp. But on my system the
nis information doesn't appear to be updated by dhcp. Am I missing
something? Here is the dhcp server nis information again:

  option nis-domain "alantro.com";
  option nis-servers 192.168.50.1;

Do I need to do anything on the client to enable dhclient to override a
previous value for the nis domain?

--
Lee Bradshaw                 lee@sectionIV.com (preferred)
Alantro Communications       lee@alantro.com