dhcp and/or nis questions?

general questions:

Is there a recommended way to modify a debian system to use it as a
dhcp client? The system was working on another subnet. Should I modify
/etc/init.d/network so the system doesn't come up using the wrong
network address? dhcp-client-beta doesn't seem to add anything to my
/etc/init.d directory. Do I need to update this directory and the
run level scripts to start dhclient before doing (for example) nis
initialization?

nis specific problems:

When I run dhclient, /etc/resolv.conf is written with the new dns info,
but /etc/defaultdomain doesn't change. I guess the file doesn't need to
change, but the value returned by (nis)domainname isn't modified either.
I'm using the dhcp-beta_2.0b1pl6-0.1 and dhcp-client-beta_2.0b1pl6-0.1.

Here are part of my global options in /etc/dhcpd.conf:

  option domain-name "alantro.com";
  option domain-name-servers 192.168.50.1;
  option nis-domain "alantro.com";
  option nis-servers 192.168.50.1;

system boots
  no /etc/resolv.conf
  domainname returns bongo
run dhclient by hand
  new /etc/resolv.conf with alantro info
  domainname still returns bongo, I expected it to change to "alantro.com"

Any suggestions? Thanks.
--
Lee Bradshaw                 lee@sectionIV.com (preferred)
Alantro Communications       lee@alantro.com