Re: dhcp and/or nis questions?

In article <cistron.19981014001751.A32250@sectionIV.com>,
Lee Bradshaw <lee@sectionIV.com> wrote:
>nis specific problems:
>
>When I run dhclient, /etc/resolv.conf is written with the new dns info,
>but /etc/defaultdomain doesn't change. I guess the file doesn't need to
>change, but the value returned by (nis)domainname isn't modified either.
>I'm using the dhcp-beta_2.0b1pl6-0.1 and dhcp-client-beta_2.0b1pl6-0.1.

Your NIS domainname has no relevance to your DNS domainname.

If you want to set your NIS domainname to "MICROSOFT" (all caps etc)
you can do that, it's valid.

Most people however find it convenient to keep the NIS and DNS
domainnames the same.

Mike.
--
  "Did I ever tell you about the illusion of free will?"
    -- Sheriff Lucas Buck, ultimate BOFH.