Re: More robust filesystem?

Alex Shnitman <alexsh@linux.org.il> writes:

> Hi.
>
> We're using Debian workstations in our labs, and as expected they
> rarely get shut down properly, many times they are just reset or
> switched off, either due to ignorance or not caring. The question is
> whether there is a way to configure the kernel to issue updates to the
> meta-data more frequently, even in expense of performance? Or what
> else can I do to keep the filesystems on the workstations more stable,
> in addition to user educating on which we're of course working?

Do a "man chattr".  It lets you set specific bits in an ext2 filesystem.
One of the attributes that you can set is the "S" flag, which tells the
filesystem to do synchronous updates on this file or directory.  It also
mentions that "mount" has a "sync" option.

Later,
	Dale

--
| Dale E. Martin |  Clifton Labs, Inc.  |  Senior Computer Engineer    |