Re: FYI: DMA/33 and kernels

just a few ideas.....
is your hd the slave or master, and if the master is there a slave
connected to the same cable?
Is the ide interface connected to the ISA or PCI bus?  Belive it or
not some pci motherboards still have the ide interface connected to
the ISA side! (some have only the secondary interface connected to the
ISA for use with slower CD rom drives).  My pc has the TX chipset and
both interfaces are pci.  The hd is the only device on interface 1,
interface 2 has my CD and LS120 drives.  What speed is your cpu?  How
much cache and dram.  I have 64MB dram and 512K cache with a K6-233.

I would think that the ide interface has a ready/busy status and the
driver would wait for the drive, but maybe the drive is giving an
advanced ready signal?