Re: FYI: DMA/33 and kernels

On Tue, 13 Oct 1998, Kenneth Scharf wrote:

> just a few ideas.....
> is your hd the slave or master, and if the master is there a slave
> connected to the same cable?

It doesn't matter. I have tried it as master, slave, master with a slave
and master alone ... no change.

> Is the ide interface connected to the ISA or PCI bus?
It is definately PCI. This is according to both the BIOS at boot time and
Linux.

> interface 2 has my CD and LS120 drives.  What speed is your cpu?  How
> much cache and dram.  I have 64MB dram and 512K cache with a K6-233.
Intel P166 clocked at the proper speed. 256K pipeline cache, 32MB Ram. The
other system that does the same thing is an AMD-K5-100 w 80MB RAM and 512K
pipeline cache.

> I would think that the ide interface has a ready/busy status and the
> driver would wait for the drive, but maybe the drive is giving an
> advanced ready signal?

That could be, or the driver times out too early waiting for it to
complete.

George Bonser

The Linux "We're never going out of business" sale at an FTP site near you!