Re: FYI: DMA/33 and kernels

Sean Johnson wrote:

> I get the same exact results with my PPro system (Intel 440FX chipset) and
> Maxtor 7.2GB UDMA drive.  This even happens under the developmental kernel
> 2.1.122 which I use for the better SMP handling.  I've asked questions
> before on newsgroups and such as to what could be causing this behavior, or
> if anybody else had even seen this kind of behavior, but never got any
> response.
I'm using 2.34 and have not recieved a problem yet.  My machine is a
Cyrix 200MMX with a VIA VP3 chipset and a Maxtor 4.3 Gig UDMA33.  I
don't have the UDMA feature of the kernel in use, I use the standard IDE
driver.  Maybe this is a hardware problem, a result of too low of
bandwidth (since Win probably never tries to use the full bandwidth
capacity of these drives)?

Mark Panzer