xfsft and Microsoft fonts

Folks,

I'm keen on being able to use scalable fonts on my Linux box.  I have
a collection of fonts from Win95 (I dual boot sadly).  Unfortunately,
when I try to use these fonts only some of them appear.

The fonts.scale file I generate automatically doesn't contain them
either.  I've used both ttinst and ttmkfdir to try to get a full list.

Am I simply SOL using those other fonts?  Or is there a way to use
these fonts that I haven't tried?

I'd also like to understand the configuration files for xfsft better,
but there doesn't seem to be any documentation.

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Simon Read

2 Maryland Avenue, #36
Annapolis
MD 2401-1651, USA