emacs20 woes

Hi all,

I'm having trouble to get emacs 20 properly installed on a hamm
system.  If I try to (re-)install the emacs-package, I get:

pollux# dpkg --install emacs20_20.2-7.deb
Selecting previously deselected package emacs20.
(Reading database ... 24424 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace emacs20 20.2-7 (using emacs20_20.2-7.deb) ...

(...)

Cannot open load file: debian-rundir
emacs-install: /usr/lib/emacsen-common/packages/install/emacsen-common
emacs20 failed at /usr/lib/emacsen-common/emacs-install line 26.
dpkg: error while cleaning up:
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 29
 emacs20_20.2-7.deb

The perl-code in /usr/lib/emacsen-common/emacs-install around line 26
looks like

20: sub execute {
21:   my(@cmd) = @_;
22:   if($dry_run) {
23:     print join(" ", @cmd) . "\n";
24:   } else {
25:     if(system(@cmd) != 0) {
26:       die "emacs-$action: " . join(" ", @cmd) . " failed";
27:     }
28:   }
29: }

My perl is rather, eh, non-existant, I couldn't tell if there was a bug
here.  I searched the list-archives for postings on problems with
emacs20, and I found people had success with removing the tm package.
However, the tm package was not installed in the first place, so I
cannot remove that.

I downloaded the emacs20 packages from slink to see if they would be any
better.  An attempt to install emacs20_20.3-1.deb however hangs on the
inability to remove the emacs20_20.2-7.deb package.  I cannot for the
life of me find the --force option to dpkg that will remove/purge the
emacs20 package, it keeps telling me:

dpkg: error processing emacs20 (--purge):
 Package is in a very bad inconsistent state - you should
 reinstall it before attempting a removal.
 emacs20

I'm out of ideas.  Any wise words of comfort around?

Eric

--
 E.L. Meijer (tgakem@chem.tue.nl)          | tel. office +31 40 2472189
 Eindhoven Univ. of Technology             | tel. lab.   +31 40 2475032