Re: Diamond Stealth 220 and (no) X

> I got the Permedia2 server from there and I found that I had to
> link the 'X' file to the XFCom_3DLabs file myself before it would
> work for me.

You should not do this, since it destroys the debian X11 setup.  In
debian X is a suid wrapper program, not a link.  To understand how this
works read the file /usr/doc/xbase/debian.README.  I would advice you to
reinstall the xbase package, skip all the configuration (backup your
/etc/X11/XF86Config file), and put the full pathname of the server you
use on the first line of the file /etc/X11/Xserver.  If you used the
xf86config program from SUSE, also check if the XF86Config is in
/etc/X11/.  All other `copies' of this file should be symbolic links.
This setup is also different in debian than it is in other
distributions.  If you have written the XF86Config file to a different
location, you might get into trouble if you upgrade to a newer version
of debian that does include the server for your card.  If you then
reconfigure your card, the Xserver might still read the old XF86Config,
leaving you doubting your sanity (speaking from experience here :).

BTW, I did solve my problem with the Diamond Stealth II S220.  I think
the best procedure is to run the debian version of the xf86config
program, pretend to install some card that uses the svga-server, of
course not allow any probing or testing, and then change the first line
of /etc/X11/Xserver.

>From all the debian installation process I think the X installation is
the most terrifying to the newbie (meaning: people who don't know the
particulars of the debian setup).  Maybe there should be some virtual
package that ensures that the right packages (i.e., the _right_ xserver,
the xserver-vga16 package, and xbase) are installed before any attempt is
made to start the setup program?

HTH,
Eric

--
 E.L. Meijer (tgakem@chem.tue.nl)          | tel. office +31 40 2472189
 Eindhoven Univ. of Technology             | tel. lab.   +31 40 2475032